March 27, 2014

I, Too, Am...

The #itooamharvard campaign has popped up on my radar, and it quickly pulled me in. 

Students at Harvard created a photo campaign highlighting the faces and voices of black students at Harvard. The #itooamharvard photo campaign was inspired by I, Too, Am Harvard, a play. 

This campaign spread to other colleges also: Oxford and College of Charleston. 

I honestly hate that race is still SUCH a divisive issue in 2014. I hate that people think it is appropriate to say things and make judgments about people because of their skin color. How crazy is that!? The other day, I was reading The Sneetches by Dr. Suess. It gives such a real view of what racism is and how silly it is. 

I relate so much to many of these photos in the campaign. I often hear things like "you act like a white girl." What does that even mean? When did acting, dressing or speaking in a certain way become identified with one race or another. Why is that the things I do make me any less 'black.' It doesn't change the color of my skin or the family that I am a part of. I rarely speak about race because it is still so dividing, particularly in the South. But I thought this campaign was so eloquently done, and really brave, and it stuck out to me. 

I, Too, Am Harvard

I, Too, Am College of Charleston


No comments:

Post a Comment